FAIR DISCOUNTERS (PTY) LTD - PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice applies to all users of our website (https://www.fairprice.co.za) and our software application which are used to access, order and purchase our products and furniture.
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to set out how, why and when Fair Discounters (Pty) Ltd (“Fair Price”) uses your Personal Information so as to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPIA”).
1. In this Notice, “Fair Price”, “us”, “we” refers to one or more Fair Price store that operates in South Africa.
2. A “registered user(s)” refers to anyone registered on our website and has provided us with a unique username and password as well as other Personal Information in order to order and purchase products or furniture on our website.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND PROCESS
3. Fair Price collects and processes Personal Information in a manner that is reasonable, adequate, relevant, non-excessive and purpose-specific. In order for users to access and use our website we collect and process some Personal Information. When you become a registered user, we collect and process your Personal Information to render our services to you.
4. We only collect information that is reasonably necessary for our business functions and activities and related purposes.
5. When you register to use our website, we may collect the following Personal Information:
- First name and surname;
- Contact details;
- Identification information, which may include passports number if you are not a South African citizen;
- Date of Birth
- Address for delivery purposes;
- Banking details;
- TV license information; and
- Other information required to carry out a legal duty or contractual obligation.
6. Should your Personal Information change or you wish to amend and/or correct this Personal Information you can do this by updating your registered user information in your account profile.
7. You warrant that the information you have provided is accurate, current, true and correct and does not impersonate or misrepresent any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with anyone or anything.
WHY DO WE PROCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
8. We process the Personal Information we collect and receive to:
- Identify you and verify your identity;
- Create a user account for you; and/or
- Enter into a contract with you.
9. As a registered user, we also process your Personal Information in order:
- Fulfill our contractual obligations to you when you have ordered goods in order for us to deliver those goods and process returns;
- Provide you with information, products or services you request from us;
- Communicate with you regarding our website and provide you with information, products or services, including billing, customer support, resolving complaints and quality control;
- Send you information about competitions, products or services that may interest you (unless you have opted out of receiving such information);
- Get feedback from you which we need to develop our products and services and grow our business; and/or
- Comply with any legal or regulatory obligation, for example tax or financial laws.
RETENTION AND RESTRICTION OF RECORDS
10. We keep your Personal Information for as long as:
- We need it to provide our website products or furniture to you;
- It is required or allowed by law and is in line with our internal retention policies;
- It is necessary to uphold the contract between you and us; and/or
- You have agreed to us keeping your Personal Information subject to your request for us to stop processing your Personal Information.
11. Fair Price will retain your Personal Information for as long as is necessary to achieve the purpose for which this information was collected or subsequently processed. If your Personal Information is used for more than one purpose, we will retain it until the purpose with the latest period expires but we will stop using it for the purpose with a shorter period once that period expires.
USER TRACKING AND COOKIES
12. When you visit our website, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone and location. You can manage the processing of this time of Personal Information by selecting and limiting your cookie options.
CAN I OPT OUT FROM DIRECT MARKETING?
14. If you are an existing customer, we may communicate with you based on the preferences as selected by you in relation to services you have signed up for.
15. You have the right to request us not to contact you for purposes of direct marketing by any form of electronic communication such as automatic calling machines, email and/or SMS notifications by “opting-out” of any direct marketing communications we may send to you.
16. You can change your preferences for direct marketing by updating your account profile.
DOES ANY OTHER PARTY GET TO PROCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
17. Notwithstanding anything contrary in this Notice, Fair Price reserves the right to disclose any information about you if were required to do so by law, and if we believe such is necessary to:
- Fulfil a government request; and/or
- Conform with requirements of the law or legal process.
18. We use service providers to provide our services and maintain our systems, including but not limited to maintenance, security, analysis, audit, payments, customer service, marketing and system development, as well as independent drivers who ensure the safe delivery of your ordered goods. These parties will have access to your information as reasonably necessary to perform these tasks on our behalf. Where we contract with service providers, and wherever possible, we impose contractual obligations on them to ensure that your information is handled and secured in accordance with law and industry good practice.
SENDING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE SOUTH AFRICA
All customer data is located and processed in South Africa. In the event that we need to transfer certain Personal Information outside the geographic borders of South Africa, we will ensure that we do so in accordance with the requirements for lawful transfer outside of South Africa as set out in POPIA.
SECURING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
19. We secure the integrity and confidentiality of your Personal Information in our possession or under our control by taking appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures to prevent loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of Personal Information, and unlawful access to or processing of Personal Information.
20. In order to implement and maintain such measures, we have in place policies, controls and related processes, which are reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
21. Where there are reasonable grounds to believe that your information has been accessed, altered, deleted or acquired by any unauthorised person, we will notify the Information Regulator and yourself in cases where your identity can be established. This notification will be done in accordance with the provisions of POPIA as soon as reasonably possible after the discovery of the compromise.
22. This website is not intended for individuals under the age of 18. Fair Price will not knowingly collect information from persons under the age of 18 year. Our website is directed to people who are at least 18 years old or older.
23. If you are under the age of 18 years, you must not provide any information to Fair Price without the consent of your parent or guardian. Fair Price may check that your parent or guardian has given you such consent, for example by asking you to provide us with your parent’s or guardian’s contact details so we can contact them. If Fair Price is unable able to verify such permission or if a parent or guardian confirms that you do not have their permission, you must not use our sale and delivery online platform.
HOW TO LODGE A COMPLAINT WITH THE INFORMATION REGULATOR
If you have any complaints about this Privacy Notice or our compliance with this Privacy Notice you can lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator. The contact details of the Information Regulator are available on its website at: https://justice.gov.za/inforeg/.
AMENDMENTS OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
24. This version of the Privacy Notice replaces any preceding Privacy Notice provisions on our website. We may occasionally update this Privacy Notice. When you use our website the version of the Privacy Notice posted on this page applies to you.
25. We may amend this Notice from time to time. Any such amendment will come into effect and become part of any agreement you have with Fair Price. When you use our website the version of the Privacy Notice posted on this page applies to you.